turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Zoila1010

Credit report

Can I block people from rubbing my credit ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Credit report

What do you mean by rubbing?

You can prevent people from using your credit, or from accessing your credit report and making inquiries, by putting a lock or a freeze on your account. It is important to understand the difference.

A credit freeze is regulated by the federal government. You may place a credit freeze on your account at any time. A credit freeze will prevent anyone from accessing your credit report or from doing a credit inquiry. This can prevent people from opening loans in your name, but it will also prevent you from getting new loans unless you unfreeze your account.  In some cases, the credit bureau is a large is allowed to charge a fee to freeze or unfreeze your credit report.  This is often governed by state law. For example, in some states placing a freeze is free but temporary unfreezes to apply for new credit will cost you a service charge. In some cases, the price is different if you are a past victim of credit fraud or identity theft.

A credit lock is a program offered by the credit bureau itself.  Most credit bureaus I think offer locking for free, although they may require you to enroll in their online services, and they will try to sell you paid subscriptions for additional credit protection. Because a lock is not regulated by the federal government, it can mean different things at different credit bureaus. For example, a lock might mean that a new lender can check your credit, but can’t open an account. You will have to investigate the terms and conditions of credit locks at each of the three credit bureaus if you want to use their program.  Locking and unlocking your credit account at the credit bureau is usually faster and easier than freezing and unfreezing your credit report, because of the way the two different programs are run.

Either freezing your credit reports or locking your credit reports should prevent other people from opening credit in your name. Don’t forget to contact all three credit bureaus. 

Credit report

How do I unfreeze my credit report 

Credit report

@M-Wilkerson wrote:

How do I unfreeze my credit report 

If you "froze" your credit report by calling the credit bureau or using their web site, you must contact them directly to unfreeze your report.  When you froze your report, you got a long code number or PIN number that you will need to unfreeze your report.  If you have lost this number, you will need to call each credit bureau and spend some time on the phone with their support people to verify your identity. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies