Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Credit Card Inquiries

I got my first credit card 7 years ago and have done well to mange it, paying it off every month. Since I use it only for gas and groceries, I have kept the same original $1,000 limit. However, I have since gotten married and had children so my usual monthly charges have obviously increased. The biggest impact on my report has been credit utilization and staying below the 30% mark. I have contemplated increasing the cards limit so that my charges will be under 30% but USAA requires a hard pull for limit increases. One hard pull is not a big deal to me, but we are also car shopping for a new family vehicle. I know multiple hard pulls in a short time span can reflect negatively, and I would like to avoid any more hits to my score. Would it be wise to increase the credit limit to stay below 30% utilization knowing that I will have another hard pull for the new car or would it be a safer bet to adjust my budget plan and leave to limit at $1,000 and use the card less?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Credit Card Inquiries

@Caseyb26 wrote:
...USAA requires a hard pull for limit increases....

In that event, you would probably be better off purchasing the car prior to requesting a credit limit increase.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies