Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KelsieK09

Credit Card Advice

Hello, just reaching out for some advice because I have became in over my head with credit card debt. I mean it could be a lot worse that it is, but financially for me right now it is just exhausting. I know I am the only one to blame because I did it to myself, just seeking some advice on if I am going in the right direction or making it worse lol. So I am probably 6K in debt with 2 credit cars. I have high payments on both each month and right now I can only make the minimum payment each month. Then I get slammed with interest and it's like  I never made a payment. The only time I can catch up a little bit is during income tax season which is now, but just like everyone else we need the money for other things as well that we are responsible for. My question is when I do have a good amount to put on my card should I aim for the card that has the lower balance with bad benefits or the hight balanced card with good benefits. I just feel like it is a never ending battle and yes I am to blame for using them so I am not asking for pity what so ever because I know I need to pay them and get them down. I am just hopeful for advice on which way I should go with targeting the cards. Any other advice is greatly appreciated as well and I hope I explained it the best way I possibly could. Thanks so much! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Credit Card Advice

#1 ..... you have to stop using them! 

I was in about $30K worth of debt and I am down to the last $5.5K now. 

I cut back everything... cable, subscriptions, clothing, food, gifts, etc.  I started to re purpose everything. 

You soon find that many things you think are a "need" are actually a want. 

And throw your whole tax return onto your debt. As soon as it clears in my account I pay down debt. Act like it was never even there. 

Also, I did build up $1000 in a savings account for emergencies ... that again prevents using CC. 

You can do this!! 

RealMojo

Credit Card Advice

First, you have to stop using the credit cards.  Do not cancel them just stop using them.  Second, see if you can negotiate a lower interest rate with your credit card company.  Highly unlikely it will be lowered, but it’s worth a try.  Third try to qualify for a consolidation loan with your bank or Credit Union to pay off both cards.  Your bank or credit union will have a much lower interest rate and you will only have one payment.  The downside, is they might require you to close the accounts.  That used to be a requirement...maybe not today.  Lastly,  you have to change your mindset about when it’s best to use credit.  If you move away from using credit cards to cash, you will be able to get a much better handle on tracking your cash flow, expenditures and savings. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies