Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bake1

Alternate signer

I am a signer on credit cards for an elderly family member so that I can make purchases on their behalf.  Because of this, those accounts show on my credit score.  How can I get a more accurate picture of what my score is without including this additional debt?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Alternate signer

There is no way that I can think of.  There are at least two free credit score services that I could find that have score simulators, that will allow you to estimate your credit score if you closed or paid off an account.  The problem is that if you removed yourself as an authorized signer, you could then ask the credit bureaus to remove the accounts completely from your records, and having those accounts not listed at all is different than listing them as closed or paid off.

Generally speaking, if the accounts are paid on time and do not have any late payments or past due amounts, then they probably help more than they hurt. They increase the amount of credit available to you, and the increase the average length of your credit history, particularly if your relative has had these accounts for a long time.  If the accounts are nearly maxed out, this will have a negative affect, and any late payments or past due amount will certainly have a large negative affect on your score.

But I don’t know of any credit score simulator that would allow you to remove an account as if it never existed. They would show you the effect of closing the account or paying down the balance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies