Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Credit Score went down

My credit score just dropped 70 pts when I have no debt or anything of note. How can I find out what happened?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Credit Score went down

• Have you recently paid off a loan or closed a credit card? If so, your credit history may have been impacted. 

You should check a credit company like Credit Karma, it will list everything on your credit report & should show what changed.  If you have no debt or payments, that could cause your credit score to go down.  Your credit utilization ratio would be impacted because you have no open accounts to show payments etc. 

When you pay off a loan, your credit score could be negatively affected. This is because your credit history is shortened, and roughly 10% of your score is based on how old your accounts are. If you’ve paid off a loan in the past few months, you may just now be seeing your score go down.

Your score could be negatively impacted by a closed credit card, too. Not only is your credit history shortened, but your credit limit would also decrease and your credit utilization ratio would be impacted.

The following has more information

https://www.creditkarma.com/advice/i/credit-score-drop/

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Credit Score went down

• Have you recently paid off a loan or closed a credit card? If so, your credit history may have been impacted. 

You should check a credit company like Credit Karma, it will list everything on your credit report & should show what changed.  If you have no debt or payments, that could cause your credit score to go down.  Your credit utilization ratio would be impacted because you have no open accounts to show payments etc. 

When you pay off a loan, your credit score could be negatively affected. This is because your credit history is shortened, and roughly 10% of your score is based on how old your accounts are. If you’ve paid off a loan in the past few months, you may just now be seeing your score go down.

Your score could be negatively impacted by a closed credit card, too. Not only is your credit history shortened, but your credit limit would also decrease and your credit utilization ratio would be impacted.

The following has more information

https://www.creditkarma.com/advice/i/credit-score-drop/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies