turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sawsaw97

What state will my working college student filing taxes?

My son goes to school full-time in Florida and works part time. He also works part-time in Ohio in the summer. How will he need to file his taxes? Does he file in both states? If he files only in Ohio, will he and how  does he claim the income from Florida?  Also does he have to claim his work study income?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Fern

Your son is considered an Ohio resident even though he goes to school in Florida. When filling out the personal information section, your son will indicate that he made money in another state - Florida.

Enter the W-2 forms for the two part time jobs as they were issued in the Wages and Income section.

Florida does not have a personal income tax so your son does not need to complete a state tax return for Florida. His earnings in Florida should not affect his Ohio state tax return.
Fern

Your son is considered an Ohio resident even though he goes to school in Florida. When filling out the personal information section, your son will indicate that he made money in another state - Florida.

Enter the W-2 forms for the two part time jobs as they were issued in the Wages and Income section.

Florida does not have a personal income tax so your son does not need to complete a state tax return for Florida. His earnings in Florida should not affect his Ohio state tax return.

So what about the situation where both states do have a personal income tax (in our case, Iowa and Arizona)?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies