turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How do I claim the $1,000 I paid out of pocket for tuition?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How do I claim the $1,000 I paid out of pocket for tuition?

Your school will issue you a Form 1098-T.  This will reflect how much you paid to the school for tuition.  You must use the information on Form 1098-T to claim education credits.

Log in to your school portal.  Most schools furnish the document electronically.  It may be listed under tax documents.

You can also deduct amounts paid for books.  Make sure to hang onto these receipts too.

See the TurboTax FAQ below for steps on entering Form 1098-T.  Click "See entire answer" for the full view.
konsrey247
Returning Member

So if I paid $5000 out of pocket towards my school tuition, I wouldn't type that anywhere because form 1098-T should have implied that I paid the costs not covered by grants and scholarships?

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Your 1098-T should include the total amount received by the institution in box 1. If you didn't receive a 1098-T from the institution, make sure to state that fact and keep your records and be prepared to produce the records if asked by the IRS. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
konsrey247
Returning Member

In the Deductions and Credits, there is a list that shows all the tax breaks such as EIC, Income Taxes Paid, etc. Under Education and Scholarships, the number listed was equivalent to subtracting my scholarships from my out of pocket tuition expense. I am confused, because I paid on top of what wasn't covered by grants and such. Shouldn't I see that expense there instead? 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

You may be seeing the amount of the credit itself, not the amount the credit is based on. 

Look at your 1040 and see how much credit you received, or look at your form 8863.

Click on Tools, and then on Tax Tools, then View my Tax summary and View my 1040. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies