Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NCC2
Level 2

Yet another 1099-Q question to which I cannot find the answer

I am in Florida. Before my divorce, I created a Florida 529 Educational Plan and a Florida Prepaid College Fund for our son. All contributions to both accounts were made prior to the divorce . I am the sole owner of both accounts (ex-husband only has right of survivorship and he also lives in Florida) and our son is the beneficiary of both accounts. Our son was 19 as of 12/31/21. I do NOT claim him as a dependent on my own taxes and won't be claiming any educational credits of any kind. I believe that my ex-husband claims our son as his dependent, as he assists with his living expenses, but he and I are not on speaking terms so I don't know for sure and my son is clueless but needs to file his taxes, as do I.

Our son is in college in Florida and shares an apartment (off-campus) with roommates. He had a part-time job income in 2021. In 2021, his tuition was paid for by a Florida prepaid college fund which I had established for him. He also receives a full tuition Bright Futures scholarship from the state of Florida, which was given to him in cash since the prepaid fund covered his tuition in 2021, and which he uses to pay for other educational expenses.

Additionally, I requested a reimbursement from the 529 educational account in late December 2021, which was sent directly to my son, to repay him for his rent for the Fall 2021 semester (he lives off-campus and the amount refunded from the 529 account was for 4 months of his share of the rent. All the roommates are listed individually on the lease.)

As the account owner, I was notified of two 1099-Q documents, one for the Florida Prepaid College Fund (funds paid directly to the University) and one for the Florida 529 Savings plan (reimbursement sent directly to my son for a qualified expense, i.e. his rent while he is enrolled in college). Both 1099-Q forms have my son's name and SSN as the recipient and list his address as his apartment.

If someone could explain, in plain language, who should be reporting each 1099-Q forms on their taxes, I would appreciate it.

• If I don't claim him at all and don't claim any educational credits, do I need to report any of these forms on my Federal return?
  • If his father claims him as a dependent, does his father then need to include the 1099-Q forms on his federal return?
  • Or does my son need to include those on his personal tax return whether or not he is claimed as a dependent by his father (he does check "yes I can be claimed as a dependent" on his tax form)?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Plain language and tax rules don't go together. That said, here goes:

Q. If I don't claim him at all and don't claim any educational credits, do I need to report any of these forms on my Federal return?

A.  You don't report those 1099-Q forms on your tax return.  Not because you  don't claim any educational credits, but because your son is the "recipient" of the forms.  If anybody reports them, he does. More on that below.

Q. If his father claims him as a dependent, does his father then need to include the 1099-Q forms on his federal return?

A. No. But again, it's not the student's dependency, it's the fact that the father is also  not the recipient of the forms.

Q. Does my son need to include those on his personal tax return whether or not he is claimed as a dependent by his father (he does check "yes I can be claimed as a dependent" on his tax form)?

A. Maybe.  If the distributions were fully covered by qualified expenses, including off campus room & board, he does NOT need to report the 1099-Qs, at all.  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. 

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

But, he needs to coordinate with his father. Since his father claims him as a dependent, the father can claim the very generous tuition credit.  But the family cannot "double dip". That is, the father and son cannot both use the same expenses to claim their respective tax benefit.  If there are not sufficient expenses  to cover both, the son should pay a little tax on the distribution to allow the father to claim the credit. 

Another thing to beware of: 529 money can be use for off campus living, but you are limited to the lesser of your actual costs or the school's "allowance for attendance" (basically what on campus students pay for R&B). 

________________________________________________________________________________________

Qualified Tuition Plans  (QTP 529 Plans) Distributions

General Discussion

It’s complicated.

For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q. 
The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q.
Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

You can and should claim the tuition credit before claiming the 529 plan earnings exclusion. The educational expenses he claims for the 1099-Q should be reduced by the amount of educational expenses you claim for the credit.
But be aware, you can not double dip. You cannot count the same tuition money, for the tuition credit,  that gets him an exclusion from the taxability of the earnings (interest) on the 529 plan. Since the credit is more generous; use as much of the tuition as is needed for the credit and the rest for the interest exclusion. Another special rule allows you to claim the tuition credit even though it was "his" money that paid the tuition.
In addition, there is another rule that says the 10% penalty is waived if he was unable to cover the 529 plan withdrawal with educational expenses either because he got scholarships or the expenses were used (by him or the parents) to claim the credits. He'll have to pay tax on the earnings, at his lower tax rate (subject to the “kiddie tax”), but not the penalty.

Total qualified expenses (including room & board) less amounts paid by scholarship less amounts used to claim the Tuition credit equals the amount you can use to claim the earnings exclusion on the 1099-Q. 
Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit on the father's return

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q (usually on the student’s return)

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $2800

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free; 40% are taxable

40% x 2800= $1120

You have $1120 of taxable income  

**Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. Again, you cannot double dip!  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit. Most people come out better having the scholarship taxable before the 529 earnings. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Plain language and tax rules don't go together. That said, here goes:

Q. If I don't claim him at all and don't claim any educational credits, do I need to report any of these forms on my Federal return?

A.  You don't report those 1099-Q forms on your tax return.  Not because you  don't claim any educational credits, but because your son is the "recipient" of the forms.  If anybody reports them, he does. More on that below.

Q. If his father claims him as a dependent, does his father then need to include the 1099-Q forms on his federal return?

A. No. But again, it's not the student's dependency, it's the fact that the father is also  not the recipient of the forms.

Q. Does my son need to include those on his personal tax return whether or not he is claimed as a dependent by his father (he does check "yes I can be claimed as a dependent" on his tax form)?

A. Maybe.  If the distributions were fully covered by qualified expenses, including off campus room & board, he does NOT need to report the 1099-Qs, at all.  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. 

But, he needs to coordinate with his father. Since his father claims him as a dependent, the father can claim the very generous tuition credit.  But the family cannot "double dip". That is, the father and son cannot both use the same expenses to claim their respective tax benefit.  If there are not sufficient expenses  to cover both, the son should pay a little tax on the distribution to allow the father to claim the credit. 

Another thing to beware of: 529 money can be use for off campus living, but you are limited to the lesser of your actual costs or the school's "allowance for attendance" (basically what on campus students pay for R&B). 

________________________________________________________________________________________

Qualified Tuition Plans  (QTP 529 Plans) Distributions

General Discussion

It’s complicated.

For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q. 
The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q.
Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

You can and should claim the tuition credit before claiming the 529 plan earnings exclusion. The educational expenses he claims for the 1099-Q should be reduced by the amount of educational expenses you claim for the credit.
But be aware, you can not double dip. You cannot count the same tuition money, for the tuition credit,  that gets him an exclusion from the taxability of the earnings (interest) on the 529 plan. Since the credit is more generous; use as much of the tuition as is needed for the credit and the rest for the interest exclusion. Another special rule allows you to claim the tuition credit even though it was "his" money that paid the tuition.
In addition, there is another rule that says the 10% penalty is waived if he was unable to cover the 529 plan withdrawal with educational expenses either because he got scholarships or the expenses were used (by him or the parents) to claim the credits. He'll have to pay tax on the earnings, at his lower tax rate (subject to the “kiddie tax”), but not the penalty.

Total qualified expenses (including room & board) less amounts paid by scholarship less amounts used to claim the Tuition credit equals the amount you can use to claim the earnings exclusion on the 1099-Q. 
Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit on the father's return

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q (usually on the student’s return)

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $2800

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free; 40% are taxable

40% x 2800= $1120

You have $1120 of taxable income  

**Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. Again, you cannot double dip!  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit. Most people come out better having the scholarship taxable before the 529 earnings. 

NCC2
Level 2

Thank you, this was actually clear enough for me to understand that this becomes my ex-husband's problem (and my son's to some extent) and that I don't need to worry about it for my own taxes. I am aware of the limits of the 529 account, fortunately (in this sense) the total value of the 529 account is lower than the allowable Room and Board for my son's university for the whole year so there won't be an issue with this, but thank you for the heads-up. Have a great evening!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies