Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I be in trouble if I accidentally marked myself as a dependent on my 2023 taxes? I am a full time college student. I thought I was a dependent for my Mom still.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Will I be in trouble if I accidentally marked myself as a dependent on my 2023 taxes? I am a full time college student. I thought I was a dependent for my Mom still.

No, you are not in any trouble for marking yourself as a dependent and later found out that you would not be claimed.  

You can correct the situation and may be able to claim a larger refund due to the situation.  However, you should first discuss it with your mom to be sure that she will not be claiming you.  If you are a full time student and under the age of 24, she may still be able to claim you.  

Also, any education credits should be considered.  If you are not claimed as a dependent, you may be able to claim an education credit based on your tuition costs.  

Here are a couple of TurboTax help articles related to amending your return and claiming education credits:

What Are Education Tax Credits?

How do I amend my federal tax return for a prior year?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

With the tax law change, effective 2018, most students will get the same refund whether they claim themselves or not. The personal exemption has been eliminated and the standard deduction increased. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies