Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tkliegl

Why is my 529 disbursement being taxed even though its entirely being spent on my sons college tuition?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Why is my 529 disbursement being taxed even though its entirely being spent on my sons college tuition?

are you eligible for the AOC credit? if so, THAT is probably  why...... but getting the credit is a good trade for a few tax dollars from the 529 distribution.

if that is not the case a few questions:

1) whose name is on the 1099Q?  THAT is who has to file it.  It makes things a lot easier for tax reporting if the money is sent directly by the administrator to the college..... plenty of posts over the past week on this topic. 

2) are you sure you filled out everything correctly.   there are a lot of questions and answering any one of them incorrectly can trip things up.

3) did you input all your qualified expenses (room and board, computer, not required books, etc.)?

4) did you input form 1098-T? 

5) if you post the following, I can figure out 'why' you are getting taxed: 

1) what is Box 1 and Box 5 of form 1098-T

2) what is Box 1 and Box 2 of form 1099Q.  How much INCOME of Box 2 is being taxed? 

3) what expenses did you add to TT (Room and Board, computer costs, not required books, anything else); I just need to know the total

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies