Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did I have to pay for the deluxe version for my taxes? I’m considered low income ($6000 work study) because I am a graduate student and do not have any loans.

I am a current graduate student. I do work study on campus but do not have any loans or debts. TurboTax made me pay for the deluxe and the state return fee of $133. My tax return is only giving me $46. I was told because I am low income I wouldn’t have to pay anything so why did I have to pay so much???

I didn’t see any option to remove the deluxe turbo tax plan.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Why did I have to pay for the deluxe version for my taxes? I’m considered low income ($6000 work study) because I am a graduate student and do not have any loans.

It's the fact that your $6000 of income was not reported on a form W-2, making it more than a "simple" return. 

For more discussion and options, see https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/this-said-it-was-free-and-now-it-s-making-me-upgr...

How was you income reported to you? If it's stipend income, under $13,850, it may not need to be reported. 

My income was reported through 2 W2 forms both through day force and given the W2 by mail.

Hal_Al
Level 15

You probably entered something else. 1098-T? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies