Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ddranalli

Who claims education expenses for non-dependent child?

My child is 24 and this is the first year that I *cannot* claim her as a Dependent.  She is in Graduate school full-time.  I paid for all her education expenses (tuition, fees, books, equipment, room & board).  The funding did not come from a 529 Plan.  Who should claim these education expenses as potential deductions -- myself or my child?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

If you can't claim her a dependent, only she can claim her education credits, no matter who paid her tuition.

She can claim her education credits by entering her form 1098-T on her tax return.

The following is an extract of an IRS document:

Who can claim a dependent's education expenses.   If a student is claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return, all qualified education expenses of the student are treated as having been paid by that person. Therefore, only that person can claim an education credit for the student. If a student is not claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return, only the student can claim a credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Who should claim these education expenses as potential deductions -- myself or my child? 

A. The child.

Not being your dependent disqualifies you for the tuition credit. Somebody else paying her expenses does not disqualify her. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies