gniyrclegna

Where would I deduct school fees or can I?

I have several college fees aside from tuition that get charged by the college...would that go under education expenses for books and materials...because looking at my 1098T, the amount on there amounts to just the resident tuition.

RichardG

You are allowed to deduct "qualified education expenses."  According to the IRS, "Student activity fees and expenses for course-related books, supplies, and equipment are included in qualified education expenses only if the fees and expenses must be paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance."  If the fees were not included on the 1098-T, you may wish to contact the school for an explanation.

If these fees were mandatory include them in books and materials. 

RichardG