turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jxjxjx
Returning Member

What do I put for "State of Residence" if I am a graduate student in another state, making money in that state?

I am a PhD student in Georgia, making money from my institution but I am originally from California. I frequently make trips during the breaks back to California, but for most of the year ~ 8/12 months, I am in Georgia. Specifically, I was in California from June to August and in Georgia otherwise. Turbotax doesn't seem to allow multiple time segments... 

What is my residence status for both states and how do I input this into TurboTax?

My understanding (and intention) is that I am a full resident of California and part-year resident of Georgia, but the interface is confusing me:

The Personal Info section asks for my "State of Residence." Should I put Georgia or California? I initially put Georgia since that is where I am mostly and it allows me to further state "lived in another state in 2023: [California.]" But I am afraid this implies I am no longer a resident of California when I still intend to be full resident there. Specifically it prompts me afterwards to write the "Date I became a resident of new state [Georgia]".  Same for the reverse when I put  California as my initial state of residence and Georgia as my previous state of residence: it almost implies I lost my part-year residence in Georgia.

I am unsure how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
maglib
Level 11

What do I put for "State of Residence" if I am a graduate student in another state, making money in that state?

@jxjxjx   

You’re a resident of CA if either apply:

• Present in California for other than a temporary or transitory purpose  (SCHOOL would be temporary)
  • Domiciled in California, but outside California for a temporary or transitory purpose

Where is your drivers license? Where did you vote?  where is your bank accounts? Where is your car insured?  California will attempt to tax all income unless you changed the above.  

Your residence is where you intend to live, not where you temporarily live for college.

CA is one of the most difficult states. 

You would have to ensure all your information was moved out of CA and file a change of address with CA.

For Georgia you are a non-resident.

You must complete your non-resident return prior to your resident return.  You would get a credit for any taxes paid to your non-resident state. 

You may want to actively change your residence if you have a rental in Georgia.  Change all legal docs.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
jxjxjx
Returning Member

Hi thank you for the response. I have a california license so it may be easier to say I am a permanent resident there. For Georgia, should I be part year resident or just non-resident completely? Because I am working in Georgia.

Furthermore, would you have any guidance on how to make sure I file non-residence Georgia taxes first with the turbo tax software? Not sure how to see the filing order of state-taxes

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Should I be part year resident or just non-resident completely? 

A. Non resident

Q. Do you have any guidance on how to make sure I file non-residence Georgia taxes first with the turbo tax software? 

A. You do not need to "file" the GA return first. You only need to prepare the GA return first, so that TT knows how much the net GA tax was in order to calculate the  credit on the CA return. Just do the GA return before you do the CA return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies