Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kdaltbax

TurbTax computing only $53 American Opportunity Credit for my son's $17,500 tuition payment. Married filing jointly with 131k Adjusted taxable income. Why not $1000?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

TurbTax computing only $53 American Opportunity Credit for my son's $17,500 tuition payment. Married filing jointly with 131k Adjusted taxable income. Why not $1000?

Look for how the education credits are calculated on Form 8863 in your documents. You may need to pay for the prep fees before being able to view.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  TurboTax computing only $53 American Opportunity Credit for my son's $17,500 tuition payment. Married filing jointly with 131k Adjusted taxable income. Why not $1000?

A. A better question would be why not $2500, the maximum.  $1000 is only the refundable portion.

The most likely explanation is Turbo Tax has calculated that you only have $53 of net qualified educational expenses (QEE).  And the most likely explanation for that is that QEE has been allocated to scholarships and/or 529 plan distributions. 

Provide the following info for more specific help:

• Are you the student or parent.
  • Is the  student  the parent's dependent.
  • Box 1 of the 1098-T
  • box 5 of the 1098-T
  • Any other scholarships not shown in box 5
  • Does box 5 include any of the 529/ESA plan payments (it should not)
  • Is any of the Scholarship restricted; i.e. it must be used for tuition
  • Box 1 of the 1099-Q
  • Box 2 of the 1099-Q
  • Who’s name and SS# are on the 1099-Q, parent or student (who’s the “recipient”)?
  • Room & board paid. If student lives off campus, what is school's R&B on campus charge. If he lives at home, the school’s R&B “allowance for cost of attendance” for student living with parents.
  • Other qualified expenses not included in box 1 of the 1098-T, e.g. books & computers
  • How much taxable income does the student have, from what sources
  • Are you trying to claim the tuition credit (are you eligible)?
  • Is the student an undergrad or grad student?
  • Is the student a degree candidate attending school half time or more?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies