Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxi11

Turbotax 2023: how to report qualified K-12 tuition education expenses after entering 1099-Q distribution from 529 plan?

I received a 1099-Q for a 529 distribution that I used for a beneficiary's K-12 private school tuition, which is a qualified education expense. I entered the 1099-Q information and the private school information into Turbotax 2023, but I don't see where to enter the private school tuition information. In prior year's versions, I was able to find it and enter it, but not in 2023. Does anyone know how to do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Turbotax 2023: how to report qualified K-12 tuition education expenses after entering 1099-Q distribution from 529 plan?

For K-12, you enter tuition in the 1099-Q section, not in the "Educational Expenses and Scholarships section". After entering the 1099-Q, a screen will ask what level of school did the student attend. You must answer high school or elementary (K-12 isn't a choice) to get the screen to enter expenses. 

But, you probably don't need to enter anything. The 1099-Q is only an informational document, if you know it's not taxable, because you tuition was equal to or more than (up tp $10K) the distribution, you do not need to enter the 1099-Q. 

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

taxi11

Thanks for your reply.

After I enter the 1099-Q, I do not get a screen that asks what level of school the student attended. Instead, I get a screen that says, "If X incurred education expenses in 2023 be sure to visit the education section of the program to enter the expenses." But then when I go to that section, I do not see a place where I can enter K-12 private school tuition expenses.

So I will opt to not file my 1099-Q, as you suggested. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies