Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rlnotices

Tuition for depndnt of 7584, R&B=5671 & 529 withdrawal=6000. TT is figuring 4000 Am Opp Crdt. TT is only applying R&B to the 529 wd. Shouldn't excess tuition go too?

I have for my dependent Tuition=$7,584, Rm & Board=$5,671 and 529plan withdrawal=$6,000. TT is only applying the Rm & Board expense against the 529 withdrawal. Shouldn't the excess Tuition (amt over the $4,000 Am Opp credit) also be applied?  TT calculates a $73 income amount on line 21 of the 1040 as a result.

This doesn't seem correct given that the withdrawal from the 529 is $6,000 and total qualifying expenses is $13,255 (tuition + rm & board) - $4,000 (tuition used on am opp crdt) = $9,255.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Tuition for depndnt of 7584, R&B=5671 & 529 withdrawal=6000. TT is figuring 4000 Am Opp Crdt. TT is only applying R&B to the 529 wd. Shouldn't excess tuition go too?

If there are any Scholarships/Grants reported on a 1098-T, these will be subtracted first from Qualified Education Expenses.  

Don't forget to add Books and other Required Fees under Additional Expenses.

Here's a detailed discussion that may help you (scroll down to 1099-Q Funds:(

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6518490

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

If there are any Scholarships/Grants reported on a 1098-T, these will be subtracted first from Qualified Education Expenses.  

Don't forget to add Books and other Required Fees under Additional Expenses.

Here's a detailed discussion that may help you (scroll down to 1099-Q Funds:(

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6518490

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rlnotices

Thank you Turbo TaxMarilynG for pointing me to this information. In my case, there are no scholarships/grants. I am still confused as to why turbo tax is not including the amount of tuition not used by the American Opportunity Credit against the 529 plan withdrawal. I added the expense for books, a few hundred dollars, and that did not change the calculation. Could this be a problem with how the program is calculating these dollars or how I am inputting the information?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies