turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Truck driver per diem: Is the per diem considered part of annual income or expense reimbursment?

I usually get a refund each year but this year I didn't. I received per diem them this past year and filed that amount as reimbursement of expenses. Is per diem a reimbursement or is it considered part of my total income? I've already filed but I think I need to amend my return, do I?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Truck driver per diem: Is the per diem considered part of annual income or expense reimbursment?

From the information you provided, you can deduct the expense under certain un-reimbursed employee expenses on your amended tax return.

Keep in mind:

• The person or company that pays the expenses usually is the one that gets to deduct them.
  • So, if your employer pays for an expense, or reimburses you for one, then they get to take the deduction.
  • If you pay for your own expenses and don’t get reimbursed, then you might be able to deduct them on your tax return.
  • **** Also, if you were reimbursed by your employer but the money was included in your wages (such as a per diem or car allowance), then you might still be able to deduct some expenses in the year that you pay them.

This is How to Entering Employee Expenses

If you've already gone through the TurboTax interview and want to jump directly to the entry screen for this topic, follow these steps:

1. Select Federal Taxes (Personal in the Home & Business edition).
    In Online TurboTax, click the bars at the upper left corner to show Federal Taxes on the selection list; enlarge the screen if needed to show the left side selection list.
  2. Select Deductions & Credits, and in the next screen, click I'll choose what I work on.
  3. Scroll down the Deductions & Credits screen until you see the Employment Expenses group.
  4. Click on the Start/Update button next to the Job-Related Expenses category.
  5. Follow the prompts.

For more about deducting employee expenses, see Employee expenses I can deduct.

Related Information:

How to amend your 2016 return in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5114143

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelDC

From the information you provided, you can deduct the expense under certain un-reimbursed employee expenses on your amended tax return.

Keep in mind:

• The person or company that pays the expenses usually is the one that gets to deduct them.
  • So, if your employer pays for an expense, or reimburses you for one, then they get to take the deduction.
  • If you pay for your own expenses and don’t get reimbursed, then you might be able to deduct them on your tax return.
  • **** Also, if you were reimbursed by your employer but the money was included in your wages (such as a per diem or car allowance), then you might still be able to deduct some expenses in the year that you pay them.

This is How to Entering Employee Expenses

If you've already gone through the TurboTax interview and want to jump directly to the entry screen for this topic, follow these steps:

1. Select Federal Taxes (Personal in the Home & Business edition).
    In Online TurboTax, click the bars at the upper left corner to show Federal Taxes on the selection list; enlarge the screen if needed to show the left side selection list.
  2. Select Deductions & Credits, and in the next screen, click I'll choose what I work on.
  3. Scroll down the Deductions & Credits screen until you see the Employment Expenses group.
  4. Click on the Start/Update button next to the Job-Related Expenses category.
  5. Follow the prompts.

For more about deducting employee expenses, see Employee expenses I can deduct.

Related Information:

How to amend your 2016 return in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5114143

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies