Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

There is no section where one can report excess scholarship income from a form 1098-T, and the excess scholarship money from the 1098-T is not being added to income.

In years past, TurboTax has asked me if I had other taxable income from Scholarships, but this year, even if I explicitly search for it, I cannot add this excess to my income. I have already filled out my form 1098-T under the deductions menu, but the excess money is not being automatically added to my income. I understand that this excess income would fall under line 8r in the Schedule 1 section of the 1040 form, but as of April 2024, TurboTax does not seem to offer any means of manually adding this amount or prompting users that have excess scholarship income.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

There is no section where one can report excess scholarship income from a form 1098-T, and the excess scholarship money from the 1098-T is not being added to income.

If you entered your 1098-T and there was more in box 5 than Box 1, TurboTax automatically adds it to Schedule 1, Line 8r.   See example below and go all the way through the Education interview.   This 1098-T had $5K more in scholarship than tuition when I entered it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

As others have said, If you entered your 1098-T and there was more in box 5 than Box 1, TurboTax automatically treats the difference as taxable income.  The taxable amount will be reduced by any book and computer expenses you enter.  The taxable amount can be increase for any amount used by your parents to claim the tuition credit.  You will eventually reach the screen "amount used to claim the education credit". If TT has not prepopulated that with $4000, you should enter (or change to) $4000 (the amount needed to get the maximum AOTC).

If your situation is different, reply with details for a workaround. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies