Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jenna36

There is a difference of over $2,000 in my refund when I input my 1098T info vs when I just put in the amount of tuition I paid. What do I need to do to get the credit?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

There is a difference of over $2,000 in my refund when I input my 1098T info vs when I just put in the amount of tuition I paid. What do I need to do to get the credit?

You need form 1098-T to qualify for education credits or deductions. Eligible colleges or other post-secondary institutions must send Form 1098-T to any student who paid "qualified educational expenses" in the preceding tax year. If there is an entry on line 5 Scholarships or Grants, this amount will reduce the amount of your expenses eligible for the credit since they were paid by scholarships or grants.  1098-T includes tuition, any fees that are required for enrollment, and course materials the student was required to buy from the school.

Additional expenses not included on the form 1098-T such as books, supplies and equipment needed for a course of study are generally also deductible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies