Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

g-david

The VA paid my tuition for college and covered a small portion of my college supplies. If I paid for the rest of my school supplies out of pocket, can i claim it? No 1098

I do not have a 1098-T form from my college as well.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

The VA paid my tuition for college and covered a small portion of my college supplies. If I paid for the rest of my school supplies out of pocket, can i claim it? No 1098

Yes - you will enter the school's information and there will be a box you can mark if your situation meets one of the exceptions:   

• Nonresident alien students, unless the student requests the institution to file Form 1098-T,
  • Students whose tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships or grants, or
  • Students for whom the institution does not maintain a separate financial account and whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement with the student’s employer or a government agency, such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Department of Defense.

See Q & A #18-19   You can still claim the AOTC if you did not receive a Form 1098-T because the school is not required to provide you a Form 1098-T if:

• The student and/or the person able to claim the student as a dependent meets all other eligibility requirements to claim the credit,
  • The student can show he or she was enrolled at an eligible educational institution, and
  • You can substantiate the payment of qualified tuition and related expenses.

Be sure to keep records that show the student was enrolled and the amount of paid qualified tuition and related expenses. You may need to send copies if the IRS contacts you regarding your claim of the credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

After saying you don't have a 1098-T, In the TurboTax (TT) interview, answer yes when asked if you qualify for an exception.  That will get you the screens to make you entries. 

The American Opportunity Credit (AOTC) is 100% of the first $2000 of expenses and 25% of the next $2000.  It is 40% refundable.  You are only allowed to claim the AOTC four times in your undergrad career. Times that your parents may have claimed it, on your education, while you were a dependent, count against you four times. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies