Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The lifetime learning credit is not working. I qualify and see that I qualify, but I am unable to use the "letme" override to apply the credit.

When I use the "letme" override, I see that I am eligible, I'm able to check the Lifetime Learning Credit button, and then the next screen says I am ineligible.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

The lifetime learning credit is not working. I qualify and see that I qualify, but I am unable to use the "letme" override to apply the credit.

The LLC is non refundable. It can only be used to offset an income tax liability.

Thanks! That makes sense, but it's still showing that I owe quite a lot in federal taxes. Does "offset an income tax liability" mean that the LLC would be deducted from what I owe? If so it looks like it is not working properly. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Does "offset an income tax liability" mean that the LLC would be deducted from what I owe?

A. Yes.

If you are eligible, you have answered  something wrong, in the interview. Go thru the interview again (you may want to delete and start over).   But, a lot of people are just not eligible. 

see this TT FAQ https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3383321-why-didn-t-i-get-a-credit-or-deduction-for-education-expen...

and this

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/llc

Thanks! Since it's showing "Yes" under eligibility, it looks like I am eligible and the program must not be working correctly. I've inputted my 1098-T three times. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

I see you're using TT Self Employed.

The LLC cannot be used to offset self employment tax; only income tax. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies