Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Skajs
Returning Member

The amount for the standard deduction seems incorrect

I'm trying to assist my grandson with his tax return. He has $4,431 on line 1 of form 1040. And $5,800 on line 8. I told him to enter his 1099 income on Schedule 1, line 8z "other income" because his work was just a one-time job. So, he shouldn't be subject to self-employment taxes. 

He is only 18 years old and is a dependent on his parents' tax return. So, TurboTax limited his standard deduction, which it should. But it is calculated as $4,831 (income from line 1 plus $400). Shouldn't it be $10,631 (income from line 1 plus income reported on line 8 plus $400)?  

If it should be $10,631, how can we change it? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

His standard deduction is EARNED income +  $400.   If the self-employment income was on Schedule C, it would be included in his earned income, but since you have it as Other Income, it is not considered earned income.   Am I self-employed?   If the income was from working, it is self-employment and belongs on Schedule C.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

By putting the income on line 8z, it is treated as unearned income.  So, his standard deduction is only $4831 (4431 + 400).

If you want the $5800 to count as earned income, you have to treat it as self employment (15.3% tax vs 10% saved with a bigger standard deduction).  It's not wrong to treat it as a one time gig exception, but that's the consequence. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies