Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HR67
Level 1

Tax on unearned income from Scholarship

Hello TT,

I have a 19-yr old freshman who started college in 2023 and received a scholarship, that covers more than the qualified education expenses (tuition, fees etc.) So the "extra" amount of scholarship as I understand is considered "unearned income" and subject to kiddie tax. I claim my child as a dependent on my return, and going to file his 1040 tax return separately (first time tax filer).

He has received form 1098-T from the Univ. He has Zero earned income (no W-2).

My questions:

1. Where is the scholarship portion of the unearned income entered in TT (or is it automatically determined from the difference of (Box 5 - Box 1) on 1098T?

2. The "extra" scholarship amount is > $2500 - hence a separate tax return is required. However, this unearned income is less than $13,850 (standard 2023 deduction, single) - does this mean there is no tax owed, because the AGI is less than $13,850? Or am I mis-interpreting?

3. Does he need to fill Form 8615, and provide parents AGI and tax related info? Is there any kiddie tax owed?

Thanks for help. 

HR67

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

1. The program takes the difference between Box 1 and Box 5 (as well as other entries you may make) to determine the taxable amount.

You can enter the 1098-T into the student's TurboTax program if you are not applying for an education credit. 

Don't forget to add expenses that are not listed on the 1098-T, such as books and supplies. Most students require internet access, and that also would be an education expense. The program does the math and calculates the income. 

2. Income from the scholarship will adjust the dependent's Standard deduction. In your situation, there should be no tax due.

3. In the situation you describe, with the student only reporting 2,500 scholarship income, there should be no tax due and therefore no Kiddie Tax.

[Edited 03/13/2024 I 3:32 pm PST]

@HR67

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q1. Where is the scholarship portion of the unearned income entered in TT (or is it automatically determined from the difference of (Box 5 - Box 1) on 1098T?

A1.  Automatically determined from the difference of (Box 5 - Box 1) on 1098T, but reduced for any additional qualified expenses and/or increased for the amount of tuition used by the parent to claim the American Opportunity [tuition] Credit (AOTC). The TurboTax interview can handle this, but it can get tricky. Reply back if you need a short cut.  Room & board are not qualified expenses.

Q2. The "extra" scholarship amount is > $2500 - hence a separate tax return is required. However, this unearned income is less than $13,850 (standard 2023 deduction, single) - does this mean there is no tax owed, because the AGI is less than $13,850? 

A 2. If that is his only income, and the taxable amount is less than $13,850, it does not get taxed. He does not even need to file a tax return*. 

Scholarships are a hybrid between earned and unearned income. It is earned income for purposes of the $13,850 filing requirement and the dependent standard deduction calculation (earned income + $400).  It is not earned income for the kiddie tax and other purposes (e.g. EIC).  For grad students and post grad fellows (but not undergrads), scholarship, stipend and fellowship income is earned income ("compensation") for IRA contributions.

Q 3. Does he need to fill Form 8615, and provide parents AGI and tax related info? Is there any kiddie tax owed?

A 3. Form 8615 is not required unless his total earned income, including the taxable amount of the scholarship exceeds $13, 850 by more than $1250.  No kiddie tax will be owed unless the excess amount is $2500 or more. 

Another thing to be aware of: There is a tax “loop hole” available. The student reports all his scholarship, up to the amount needed to claim the American Opportunity Credit (AOC), as income on his return. That way, the parents  (or himself, if he is not a dependent) can claim the tuition credit on their return. They can do this because that much tuition was no longer paid by "tax free" scholarship.  You cannot do this  if the conditions of the grant are that it be used to pay for qualified expenses.

Using an example: Student has $10,000 in box 5 of the 1098-T and $8000 in box 1. At first glance he/she has $2000 of taxable income and nobody can claim the American opportunity credit. But if she reports $6000 as income on her return, the parents can claim $4000 of qualified expenses on their return.

Books and computers are also qualifying expenses for the AOC. So, extending the example, the student had another $1000 in expenses for those course materials, paid out of pocket, she would only need to report $5000 of taxable scholarship income, instead of $6000.

The IRS actually encourages use of this technique. From the form 1040 instructions: “You may be able to increase an education credit if the student chooses to include all or part of a Pell grant or certain other scholarships or fellowships in income. For more information, see Pub. 970, the instructions for Form 1040 and IRS.gov/EdCredit".  PUB 970 even has examples of how to do the “loop hole”.

* If you claim the tuition credit, under the "loop hole", you may want the student to file a tax return, even if not required, just to document the reporting of the scholarship as income. 

HR67
Level 1

Just wanted to say Thank you Hal_AI for the advice. Very useful.

Even though no tax was owed, TT auto-filled out Form 8615. 

HR67
Level 1

Thank you KrisD15 for the answers. Even though there was no tax due for 2023, TT auto fills out Form 8615. Only name and social was required this time. 

tam9
Level 2

I have a question regarding the similar situation. If you could help me, that'd be great.

Dependent, college student

Earned income: $0

Unearned income: $13,000 (extra scholarship)

1. In this case, my daughter doesn't have to file tax?

2. If federal tax file is not required, she doesn't have to file state tax (California)?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

If the scholarship money is the only income received by the year, it is not reported because it doesn't exceed the filing threshold for the year. In 2023, the federal filing threshold for your child is $13,400, which includes $13000 plus $400. Your dependent does not need to file. 

Since the federal AGI is zero, this income is not taxable in California either.

@tam9 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Your dependent child  must file a tax return for 2023 if he had any of the following:

1.          Total income (wages, salaries, taxable scholarship* etc.) of more than $13,850 (2023).
  2.          Unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains, unemployment, taxable portion of 529 distribution) of more than $1250 (2023)
  3.          Unearned income over $400 and gross income of more than $1250 (2023)        
  4.        Household employee income (e.g. baby sitting, lawn mowing) over $2600 ($13,850 if under age 18)
  5.          Other self employment income over $432, including money on a form 1099-NEC

*Scholarships are a hybrid between earned and unearned income. It is earned income for purposes of the $13,850 filing requirement and the dependent standard deduction calculation (earned income + $400).  It is not earned income for the kiddie tax and other purposes (e.g. EIC).  For grad students and post grad fellows, scholarship, stipend and fellowship income is earned income ("compensation") for IRA contributions.

tam9
Level 2

Thank you, @DaveF1006@Hal_Al

The concept of "unearned income" for scholarship is very confusing.

I think now I understand it as hybrid. Thank yo for your kind support.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies