turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

T32 NRSA Grant Income - how to keep it from counting as FICA-taxable?

I have seen the other posts on this topic (https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/college-education/discussion/nrsa-t32-fellowship-income-and-fica-e...), but the answers do not work.

If I enter my T32 fellowship amount in the Education section, under "Scholarships/Grants (for all schools)", then in the row "Other Scholarships/Grants/Fellowships", this ends up going on the final form 1040 in Schedule 1, row r: 

"r Scholarship and fellowship grants not reported on Form W-2 . . .    8r". This then is included in total income in line 9 of form 1040, which is used to calculate total federal tax owed. Checking the math, indeed it seems that this total amount is used (less standard deduction) to calculate Line 16: Tax, using the typical tax rate as given in the instructions. No adjustment is made for the fact that this income should not be subject to FICA taxes.

Is there some way to indicate that this amount should not be subject to FICA taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

T32 NRSA Grant Income - how to keep it from counting as FICA-taxable?

Q. Is there some way to indicate that this amount should not be subject to FICA taxes?

A. Yes, put in on line 8r of Schedule 1, as taxable scholarship. So, TurboTax is doing it correctly.

Q. Is there some way to indicate that this amount should not be subject to FICA taxes?

A. It's already done. FICA tax is not calculated on line 9 of your 1040 (or line 8r of schedule1). In There is no FICA tax calculated as part of your federal income tax return, with a couple of exceptions (schedule SE and form 8919)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies