Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

archapple

Student loan interest paid

in past years i seem to remember getting to deduct up to $2500 of student loan interest and if you had paid more you could roll over the extra to next year. is that correct?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

No, that is not correct. You can deduct up to $2,500 from your income but there is no Form 1098-E Student Loan Interest carryforward.

How much can I deduct?

• You may deduct the lesser of $2,500 or the amount of interest you actually paid during the year. 
  • The deduction is gradually reduced and eventually eliminated by phaseout when your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) amount reaches the annual limit for your filing status.

Read the full TurboTax FAQ: Can I claim my student loan?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

No, that is not correct. You can deduct up to $2,500 from your income but there is no Form 1098-E Student Loan Interest carryforward.

How much can I deduct?

• You may deduct the lesser of $2,500 or the amount of interest you actually paid during the year. 
  • The deduction is gradually reduced and eventually eliminated by phaseout when your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) amount reaches the annual limit for your filing status.

Read the full TurboTax FAQ: Can I claim my student loan?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies