Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gwdepu01

State income taxes for college student

I attend college full-time in VA.  My parents claim me as a dependent - they live in KY.  I have a KY driver's license. In 2023 I lived and worked as an intern in FL during the Spring 2023 semester, lived and worked in VA during the summer 2023 term, and lived and attended classes in VA in the Fall 2023 semester.  I did not earn income in KY nor did I reside in KY for longer than 4 weeks in 2023.  Do I need to pay state income taxes in VA as a non-resident and KY as a resident? FL has no state income tax, correct?  Do I pay KY income taxes for all my income no matter where it was earned (VA and FL)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

State income taxes for college student

Q.  Do I need to pay state income taxes in VA as a non-resident and KY as a resident?

A.  No. Normally, that is how it works.  But VA & KY are reciprocal states. As a full year KY resident, you are not subject to VA income tax.  You would only file a VA return to get a refund of any VA tax withheld.

Q.   Do I pay KY income taxes for all my income no matter where it was earned (VA and FL)?

A. Yes, that's exactly how it works. You report all your income on your resident state return, including the income earned in the other state. Your home state calculates tax on all your income, but gives you a credit, or partial credit, for tax you paid to the other state*.

When you worked in a state without an income tax ( Florida), there will be no credit, since there was no FL tax. In other words, having worked in a state without an income tax does not get you out of paying state tax on that income, to your home state.

* No credit will be given in a reciprocal state situation (you have to apply for a refund). 

Despite only being in KY a few weeks, college students (particularly those who are still dependents) are only considered as being temporarily away from home, and are still residents of their original state. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies