Jenlee921546

SSI and Education credit

I recieve SSI and have no other income. I am a student. Can I claim the education credit still? I paid so e tuition out of pocket and had expenses. 

ColeenD3

SSI and Education credit

Yes. You can enter the amount of tuition that you paid out of pocket along with the following expenses. If you do not qualify for the American Opportunity Credit, a portion of which is refundable, you will not get any refund.

• fees
  • books 
  • other course materials

@Jenlee921546

Jenlee921546

SSI and Education credit

Thank you. I did and the irs is holding up my tax refund for some reason. I was just checking to make sure I didn't do something wrong. 

Hal_Al

SSI and Education credit

If you are a student, over age 23, and are not claimed as a dependent by someone else (e.g. your parent) you may be eligible for the up to $1000 refundable American Opportunity (tuition) Credit. That credit is not dependent on having either kids or earned income. You must be at least a half time undergraduate student, and actually paid tuition. Tuition paid by loans counts as paid by you.  There's even a loop hole available to claim the credit, if you are on scholarship.

See full rules at  https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/AOTC 

Jenlee921546

SSI and Education credit

So even if I no income I can claim a refund credit

Hal_Al

SSI and Education credit

Yes.