Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a graduate nursing student required to complete 300 clinical hours and have to drive to various facilities, are the miles deductable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I am a graduate nursing student required to complete 300 clinical hours and have to drive to various facilities, are the miles deductable?

If so, where can I put them? I did not see a place to add them.
Carl
Level 15

yes they are with two exceptions.

- Miles from your primary residence to your "principle" place of employment or school are not deductible.
 - Miles from your principle place of employment or school back to your primary residence are not deductible.

So, miles from my primary residence to clinical site and back are deductible, correct?  I am required by the university to visit these sites as part of my degree. But it is not at my school.  Where do I enter these miles?  or is there a formula to use when entering school related expenses?
Carl
Level 15

First, you are getting paid for this clinical work, right? IF so, is that income reported to you on a W-2, or something else?
dazedg

Did you find an answer to this ? How did you calculate it?

Hal_Al
Level 15

@dazedg 

Despite the 2019 date on this post, the previous discussion is about the rules before 2018.

W-2 employees can no longer deduct job expenses, including mileage.  If you are classified as self employed (your pay is reported to you on a 1099-NEC), you may only deduct the mileage between jobs during a day. 

If you only work one place, each day, then getting to and from work is not deductible. 

dazedg

Its not for a paying job, its for a clinical site that is mandatory to attend thru the college.  Would the mileage from the college to the clinical sites count? or since this is unpaid time which is technically volunteering at these clinical sites would it count as a volunteer charity mileage?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Its not for a paying job, its for a clinical site that is mandatory to attend thru the college.  Would the mileage from the college to the clinical sites count as educational expenses?

A. No. Transportation doesn't count at a school, getting to school or any activities related to school, such as an internship. 

Q. Since this is unpaid time, would it count as a volunteer charity mileage?

A. No. You're not volunteering for a charity. You're doing educational/job training. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies