Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lisas2118

Should my spouse and I file separately, in order to receive a tax break with student loan interest paid?

Our combined income is over $185,000.00, but my income alone is under that amount - and my name is on the student loan.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Should my spouse and I file separately, in order to receive a tax break with student loan interest paid?

No, if you file separately you won't be able to take the student loan interest deduction either. Married filing joint is usually the best way to go as you lose a number of credits and have other limitations when filing separately. For reference see this article

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Should my spouse and I file as married filing separately (MFS), in order to receive a tax break with student loan interest paid?

A. No. You should not willingly file MFS. People filing MFS are not even allowed the student loan interest deduction.

Unfortunately some loan companies will not give you a break on the loan payment schedule unless you do file separately. If that is your situation, you have to do the math to see if it is worth while. 

The only way to be absolutely sure is to prepare returns both ways and compare the results.  This is more easily done with the download version of TurboTax rather than the on-line version. Or you could Try this tool   https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/?s=1

Also see https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-filing-status/compare-married-filing...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies