Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I list school books under "required to be purchased from the college" or under "not required" if I bought them from the school using financial aid school credit?

The remainder of my financial aid that was not used to pay tuition was placed as a credit with the school. This money was not refunded to me and was only available through the school. I purchased my books through the school's online store with the credits I had but I'm wondering sense the books were potentially available from other retailers if they would still qualify as educational material required to be purchased from the school or if they should be listed as educational material not required to be purchased from the school. To my knowledge I did not have access to this money other than going through the school store and using the credits I had.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanO

Should I list school books under "required to be purchased from the college" or under "not required" if I bought them from the school using financial aid school credit?

Enter as education material required to be purchased from the school if you had no other option in order to use your financial aid to make the purchase.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies