Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rolling inherited iBonds into 529

My mother passed away earlier this year, and had 5 iBonds with significant accrued interest. I was named as the Transfer on Death beneficiary on the iBonds, and I’m in the process of getting them re-registered in my name. I have 529 accounts for both of my daughters – currently age 14 and age 20 (in college and still noted as my dependent when filing). Assuming we meet the income parameters, am I able to take advantage of selling the iBonds and contributing to their 529’s to avoid taxation on the interest, or does that not work since I wasn’t the original purchaser? If I am eligible, do I need to hold the iBonds in my name for a certain period of time prior to liquidating? Thanks for any insights!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Am I able to take advantage of selling the iBonds and contributing to their 529’s to avoid taxation on the interest, or does that not work since I wasn’t the original purchaser? 

A. It does not work since you were not the original purchaser. 

Reference: https://www.treasurydirect.gov/savings-bonds/tax-information-ee-i-bonds/using-bonds-for-higher-educa...

Thank you for sharing that article!  My apologies, as I'm sure I'm missing it - can you please point to where it states that you must be the original owner?  I'm not seeing it...

Hal_Al
Level 15

It's in the wording.  The don't specifically say "original owner". Instead, they say "They must be issued in your name"

Reference: https://rbcc-int.fiscal.treasury.gov/savings-bonds/tax-information-ee-i-bonds/using-bonds-for-higher...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies