Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kbda
Returning Member

Rolling I bonds over to 529

I have I bonds, purchased April 2022, that will be earning just ~3.38% interest beginning in November 2023. I understand that once a full year has passed since purchase, these I bonds can be rolled over into a 529 plan, allowing these funds to be used tax-free for educational expenses.  Unlike directly using Ibonds for qualified education expenses, rolling an Ibond into a 529 plan would enable us to use the proceeds tax-free for room and board in addition to tuition. However, I want to make sure to go about this properly. Our state offers an income tax deduction on up to $8K per year of 529 contributions. My thinking is as follows: wait for 3 months to pass after November 2023, so that we forfeit the lower interest rate. In February 2024, roll over up to 4 of the individual $2K Ibonds into the 529 plan, designating these funds as 2023 contributions to the 529 plan (The 529 plan permits retroactive calendar year contributions until April of the following year.) If I am understanding correctly, when these I bonds are cashed in in February 2024, the earnings are free from state income taxes and subject to a 3 month interest penalty. Additionally, since the I bonds will be immediately rolled over into a 529 account, the proceeds will also be free from federal income taxes.  Moving forward, the 529 funds could be used to pay my student's qualified educational expenses beginning in fall 2024. Am I missing any details or tax implications here? Is it permissible to retroactively deposit I bond funds into a 529 for the previous calendar year and still claim the federal tax exemption? Would  it be considered "double dipping" to roll the I bonds over into a 529 and still claim a state income tax deduction for the 529 contribution since I bonds are already free of state income tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Unlike directly using I bonds for qualified education expenses, rolling an I bond into a 529 plan would enable us to use the proceeds tax-free for room and board in addition to tuition. Is that correct?

A. Yes.

Q.  Since the I bonds will be immediately rolled over into a 529 account, the proceeds will also be free from federal income taxes?

A. Yes.

Q. Would  it be considered "double dipping" to roll the I bonds over into a 529 and still claim a state income tax deduction for the 529 contribution since I bonds are already free of state income tax?

A. General answer: No.  Most states still allowed the state deduction.  But, it may depend on which state. 

Q.  Is it permissible to retroactively deposit I bond funds into a 529 for the previous calendar year and still claim the federal tax exemption?

A. No. If you cash the bonds in 2024, the federal interest exclusion is reported on your 2024 return. If your state allows such a thing, that would be unusual. Reference:  https://www.savingforcollege.com/article/how-to-rollover-us-savings-bonds-into-a-529-plan

which says, in part: "The expenses [including contributions to a 529 plan] must occur in the same year as the bond redemption"

Q.  Moving forward, the 529 funds could be used to pay my student's qualified educational expenses beginning in fall 2024?

A. Yes.  

Which state are you in.  Even though a state has a limit ($8000 in your case), on the 529 contribution deduction they usually allow a carry forward of an excess.  So, for example, you rollover $20,000; you deduct $8000 the first year, $8000 the 2nd year and $4000 the third year. EDIT Georgia does not have a carry forward provision for the 529 plan contribution deduction.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Unlike directly using I bonds for qualified education expenses, rolling an I bond into a 529 plan would enable us to use the proceeds tax-free for room and board in addition to tuition. Is that correct?

A. Yes.

Q.  Since the I bonds will be immediately rolled over into a 529 account, the proceeds will also be free from federal income taxes?

A. Yes.

Q. Would  it be considered "double dipping" to roll the I bonds over into a 529 and still claim a state income tax deduction for the 529 contribution since I bonds are already free of state income tax?

A. General answer: No.  Most states still allowed the state deduction.  But, it may depend on which state. 

Q.  Is it permissible to retroactively deposit I bond funds into a 529 for the previous calendar year and still claim the federal tax exemption?

A. No. If you cash the bonds in 2024, the federal interest exclusion is reported on your 2024 return. If your state allows such a thing, that would be unusual. Reference:  https://www.savingforcollege.com/article/how-to-rollover-us-savings-bonds-into-a-529-plan

which says, in part: "The expenses [including contributions to a 529 plan] must occur in the same year as the bond redemption"

Q.  Moving forward, the 529 funds could be used to pay my student's qualified educational expenses beginning in fall 2024?

A. Yes.  

Which state are you in.  Even though a state has a limit ($8000 in your case), on the 529 contribution deduction they usually allow a carry forward of an excess.  So, for example, you rollover $20,000; you deduct $8000 the first year, $8000 the 2nd year and $4000 the third year. EDIT Georgia does not have a carry forward provision for the 529 plan contribution deduction.

kbda
Returning Member

Aha! Thank you. We are in Georgia. I knew I was probably missing something regarding the legality of making a retroactive 529 deposit for the previous year with regard to the timing of cashing in the Ibond. I may consider cashing $8K of the Ibonds in November 2023 in order to roll them over to the 529 plan prior to the end of this year. I will just have to crunch the numbers to see if the 3 months' lost interest will be made up for by the state income tax deduction for 2022. 

A. No. If you cash the bonds in 2024, the federal interest exclusion is reported on your 2024 return. If your state allows such a thing, that would be unusual. Reference:  https://www.savingforcollege.com/article/how-to-rollover-us-savings-bonds-into-a-529-plan

Hal_Al
Level 15

Georgia does not have a carry over provision for the 529 plan contribution deduction. 

Reference: https://finaid.org/savings/state529deductions/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies