Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Retro Tuition Reimbursement

Hello. My employer is going to reimburse me for classes taken in 2022, 2023, and this year, 2024. I previously filed for tuition credits on my taxes. I assume that is ok and that anything my employer gives me will appear to be tuition reimbursement for 2024... then any amount over the $5250 will be taxed as income. Does this sound correct? I want to make sure there aren't any implications for filing the way I did in the past as I didn't know my employer would go back and reimburse me for my schooling. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Retro Tuition Reimbursement

Q.  I previously filed for tuition credits on my taxes. I assume that is ok?

A. Yes.

Q. Anything my employer gives me will appear to be tuition reimbursement for 2024?

A. Yes.

Q. Any amount over the $5250 will be taxed as income. Does this sound correct?

A. Yes. The amount over $5250 will be already included in box 1 of your W-2. You do not need to make a separate entry, for the taxable portion, in TurboTax (TT).

Q. I want to make sure there aren't any implications for filing the way I did in the past?

A. There will be no tax implications for you, unless the $5250 tax free part, of the reimbursement,  is more than the 2024 tuition.  Then there are a couple of ways to handle the "credit recapture"  for the previous year(s). See page 27 of IRS Pub 970 and/or page 33 of the form 1040 instructions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies