Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Removing Lifetime Learning Credit

I am trying to figure out how to remove the Lifetime Learning Credit from my taxes. I am not eligible for a Lifetime Learning credit and receive $0 on this credit. TurboTax, however, is making me upgrade to TurboTax deluxe to file on the grounds that "you have a lifetime learning credit" and that TurboTax Free Addition is only for "simple returns." This is incorrect, since it has clearly told be I am not eligible for this credit.

Answers on other posts have suggested that by deleting any 1098-T, 1098-E, and 8863 forms, the Lifetime Learning credit will disappear and I will be able to use Turbo Tax Free Addition. I have deleted all of those forms and it still tells me I need to upgrade due to the Lifetime Learning Credit. How do I remove this credit if deleting these forms didn't work?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

If you don't qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit,  or want to eliminate it, you'll have to delete the forms that are related to education credits.

If you see form 8863 and form 1098-T, delete them. Click here for instructions

Thanks for your response Hal_Al. The issue is that I already deleted the 1098-T and was never assigned an 8863 to delete to begin with and it’s still not working. So both of those are deleted but TurboTax STILL says I have a Lifetime Learning Credit and that I need to upgrade. Any idea what is going on in this case?

Deleting those documents didn’t end up working to remove the Lifetime Learning Credit. What should I try next to get rid of it?

Hal_Al
Level 15

This is the first time somebody has responded that it didn't work. Try Looking at your list of forms for any likely suspects, e.g. Student information worksheet (abbreviated student info wk)

Hi there. I am having the exact same issue. So far, none of these things have resolved the problem. Perhaps it is a bug in the system?

This was it! It was the student info worksheets! I deleted those and it finally removed the credit and is allowing me to continue without upgrading. Thanks for your help!

As per Hal_Al’s suggestion I deleted the student info worksheets as well and this finally solved my problem. Good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies