Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MMurphy1

Reimbursed Expenses

I am working 1099 as a contractor.  The agency employing me reimburses my hotel and pays a per diem for meals and expenses.  When they paid me, they combined both the hourly reimbursement and the travel expenses.  When they issue my 1099 at the end of the year will they divide this back out so it does not show up as income or will this be counted as income and  I will need to save receipts to then deduct my travel costs as an expense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Reimbursed Expenses

They could do either.   If it is included, yes, you will need to save your receipts and deduct those amounts from your income.   If it is not included (they reimburse you under an accountable plan), then you won't need to deduct the expenses.   You need to keep detailed receipts either way.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Reimbursed Expenses

Q. When they issue my 1099 at the end of the year will they divide this back out so it does not show up as income?

It's March 9th. You should have received a 1099-NEC by now.

As the other reply, it could go either way, but usually the expenses are included in the 1099-NEC amount.

You say they paid you a per diem for meals and expenses.  Whether the per diem is included in the 1099-NEC, or not, you should  report it as income.  You do not get to deduct the per diem amount. Yes, you will need to save receipts to then deduct your travel costs as an expense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies