Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kkpatel
Returning Member

My son 1098T has Box 1: $42643 and Box5: $14815 and still didnot get any education credit. Anyone can help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
kkpatel
Returning Member

My son 1098T has Box 1: $42643 and Box5: $14815 and still didnot get any education credit. Anyone can help?

He didnot work last year so he is not filing. 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If you are claiming him as a dependent, you must enter the information on your tax return to qualify for the credit.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

You, most likely,  entered something wrong.  Delete the student, at the "Your Education Expenses Summary" screen and start over.

You qualify, unless he or you also got a 529 plan distribution (1099-Q), or your income is too high (above $90K, $180K married filing jointly). People filing married filing separately do not qualify, regardless of income.  You may need to review the rules. 

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/AOTC

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/american-opportunity-tax-credit-questions-and-answers

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/education-credits-questions-and-answers

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/llc

kkpatel
Returning Member

My income is less then $180,000 filing joint return. My older son got AOT credit.  Thers is somthing to do with my younger son scholarship.

kkpatel
Returning Member

I did 1099Q

box1. $38282

box2:$13046

box3:$25235

Hal_Al
Level 15

If $14,815 of the $42,643 tuition was paid by Scholarship and the remaining $27,828 was paid by the 529 distribution, then there was no tuition left for you to claim the AOTC.  TurboTax (TT) should also be telling you that some of the 1099-Q earnings is also taxable. 

To get the AOTC, you need to enter all the remaining expenses, room, board, books and computers, so that enough tuition is freed up to claim the AOTC.  You may have to declare some of the student's scholarship to be taxable to do so.  

There are three things you can do with your Qualified educational expenses (QEE):

1. Allocate then to scholarships (so that the scholarship remains tax free)
  2. Use them to claim an education credit
  3. Allocate them to the 529 distribution (1099-Q) so that it will not all be taxable

Go through the education section again. Go through the entire education interview until you reach a screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click edit next to the student's name. That should take you to a screen “Here’s your Education Summary”. Click edit next to “Education Information”. When you get to the screen titled “Amount Used to Calculate Education Deduction or Credit”, verify the amount you want to use ($4000) or change it.

Instead, in the education interview, you may reach a screen titled "Choosing a larger education Credit". Verify that TT has entered $4,000. 

kkpatel
Returning Member

when i edit  education information

i never get Amount Used to Calculate Education Deduction or Credit section.

it brings me back to education summary

kkpatel
Returning Member

How do i Allocate then to scholarships (so that the scholarship remains tax free)?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Do you also have Room and Board expenses and if so, did you enter that into the program? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kkpatel
Returning Member

Yes i did

Hal_Al
Level 15

On the Student Information Worksheet (abbreviated Student Info Wk on the forms list), go to part VI and change line 17 (“Used for credit”) to 4000. Make the change in the first column.  That will automatically change the other columns.

You can't get to the worksheet to directly edit if you are using the online version of TurboTax.  You would need to use the download version to edit on the form.

You can however go to Tools>>Tax Tools>>Delete a form and then delete the student worksheet which would allow you to walk back through the answers making sure you entered everything correctly.

kkpatel
Returning Member

I am using download version

Hal_Al
Level 15

In the download versions, you can use this technique:

On the Student Information Worksheet (abbreviated Student Info Wk on the forms list), go to part VI and change line 17 (“Used for credit”) to 4000. Make the change in the first column.  That will automatically change the other columns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies