Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm taking 6 credit hours of college courses. One of my classes requires a text book as well as a hosting service($10), and DreamWeaver software($20.00 a month). Can i deduct this?

I can't take the course without the software and the only option is a per monthly charge. I can use this for one other class but beyond that this is specific to my web design class.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

I'm taking 6 credit hours of college courses. One of my classes requires a text book as well as a hosting service($10), and DreamWeaver software($20.00 a month). Can i deduct this?

Maybe.  If you must purchase certain software and internet services as a condition of attendance for your college course in web design, then the amounts you spent (including for the whole year, if you could only buy a 12-month subscription for the services package) can be included along with your other textbook and supplies expenses, as well as, of course, actual tuition, for purposes of calculating the American Opportunity Credit -- if you are otherwise eligible for that.

For purposes of the other (2) possible education tax benefits:  the Lifetime Learning Credit or the Tuition & Fees Deduction, then the answer to your question becomes no.  Because you didn't have to purchase your classroom items directly from the school itself, the costs you cite would not qualify or otherwise be deductible.

So, it really depends on which tax benefit is under consideration.  The TurboTax software will walk you through all of your options.  In addition, here are a pair of links to some TurboTax FAQ information that offers more details:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Deductions-and-Credits/What-are-Education-Tax-Cre...

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/College/Take-Advantage-of-Two-Education-Tax-Credits/I...

Finally, as an up-and-coming web designer, we're sure you'll appreciate this.  Here's an imbedded video to give you an overview of the Tuition & Fees deduction.  Good luck with your studies!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
GeoffreyG

Maybe.  If you must purchase certain software and internet services as a condition of attendance for your college course in web design, then the amounts you spent (including for the whole year, if you could only buy a 12-month subscription for the services package) can be included along with your other textbook and supplies expenses, as well as, of course, actual tuition, for purposes of calculating the American Opportunity Credit -- if you are otherwise eligible for that.

For purposes of the other (2) possible education tax benefits:  the Lifetime Learning Credit or the Tuition & Fees Deduction, then the answer to your question becomes no.  Because you didn't have to purchase your classroom items directly from the school itself, the costs you cite would not qualify or otherwise be deductible.

So, it really depends on which tax benefit is under consideration.  The TurboTax software will walk you through all of your options.  In addition, here are a pair of links to some TurboTax FAQ information that offers more details:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Deductions-and-Credits/What-are-Education-Tax-Cre...

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/College/Take-Advantage-of-Two-Education-Tax-Credits/I...

Finally, as an up-and-coming web designer, we're sure you'll appreciate this.  Here's an imbedded video to give you an overview of the Tuition & Fees deduction.  Good luck with your studies!

Yes, if these materials are required for the course they can be claimed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies