Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm supposed to be eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit, but when I proceed, I get a page saying I don't qualify for it. Why? The given reasons don't apply to me.

I cannot be claimed by anyone else (I'm married filing jointly), I have taxable income, and I have $10,000 of education expenses.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I'm supposed to be eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit, but when I proceed, I get a page saying I don't qualify for it. Why? The given reasons don't apply to me.

The LLC is a non-refundable credit. You need to have a tax liability to offset.

If you are eligible, you have answered  something wrong, in the interview. But, a lot of people are just not eligible. See Also see this TT FAQ https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3383321-why-didn-t-i-get-a-credit-or-deduction-for-education-expen...

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/education-credits-questions-and-answers

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/llc

MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

Who is an eligible student for LLC?

To be eligible for LLC, the student must:

• Be enrolled or taking courses at an eligible educational institution.
  • Be taking higher education course or courses to get a degree or other recognized education credential or to get or improve job skills.
  • Be enrolled for at least one academic period* beginning in the tax year.

Academic Period can be semesters, trimesters, quarters or any other period of study such as a summer school session. Academic periods are determined by the school. For schools that use clock or credit hours and do not have academic terms, the payment period may be treated as an academic period.

Important differences between LLC and AOTC

There are important differences between the LLC and AOTC. See our chart to Compare the LLC and AOTC

What are the income limits for LLC?

• For TY2022, the amount of your LLC is gradually reduced (phased out) if your MAGI is between $80,000 and $90,000 ($160,000 and $180,000 if you file a joint return).
  • You can’t claim the credit if your MAGI is $90,000 or more ($180,000 or more if you file a joint return).

Also, if Box 5 is greater than Box 1 that means you received Box 5 scholarships/grants used to pay your educations expenses or other expenses more than your tuition was in Box 1.

Also, look at this article if Box 5 is greater than Box 1. Fact Sheet: Interaction of Pell Grants and Tax Credits: Students May Be Foregoing Tax Benefits by Mi....

If you take that option your Box 5 amount could become taxable income as stated in the expense report once you enter your room and board expenses . You would report Room and Board or Pell Grant/Scholarship money used to pay for it (R&B Expense from Pell/Scholarship) in MISC INCOME>OTHER INCOME ) type Pell Grant/Scholarship and amount of taxable income. You certainly still have to meet the income requirements to do so. The other income should be no more than Box 5.

@tiffanystewart19

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies