turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Non-Qualified Withdrawals Paid to Beneficiaries

In 2023, I arranged for distributions to my children out of the remaining balance of their 529 accounts.  I sized the withdrawals taking account of their other income to minimize the tax impact.  Or so I thought.  Instead, in addition to the 10% penalty, TT is telling me that they are liable for 10% in income taxes even though they are inside of the first tax bracket.  No deduction for this income? 

In addition to that, it's asking for my income (taxable?  AGI?  MAGI?) and then making further adjustments to tax due on account of these withdrawals.  The kids were 21 or younger in 2023.  I'm guessing this has something to do with the kiddie tax?  And as to this, I will file an extension so don't actually know where my 2023 income will come out.  How do I handle this issue? 

Finally, is there a way to achieve what I sought by handling matters differently?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Since this was done in 2023, and you are now past the window to return the distributions to the accounts, there is nothing you can do but claim the income and pay the tax.

Yes, the dependent children are subject to Kiddie tax if they are under 18 or under 24 and a student.

If you can't complete the student's returns because you are extending your return, you'll need to extend their returns as well. Of course that just gives you more time to file, not free time for paying taxes. If a balance is due, the extension to file does not eliminate penalties and/or interest on the tax bill. 

Had you waited, the rules have changed for tax year 2024 where funds in a 529 account can be rolled over into a Roth account, but this change does not help you if you depleted the accounts in 2023. 

Community is open year-round. You can always ask a tax question BEFORE you make a financial transaction decision. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Since this was done in 2023, and you are now past the window to return the distributions to the accounts, there is nothing you can do but claim the income and pay the tax.

Yes, the dependent children are subject to Kiddie tax if they are under 18 or under 24 and a student.

If you can't complete the student's returns because you are extending your return, you'll need to extend their returns as well. Of course that just gives you more time to file, not free time for paying taxes. If a balance is due, the extension to file does not eliminate penalties and/or interest on the tax bill. 

Had you waited, the rules have changed for tax year 2024 where funds in a 529 account can be rolled over into a Roth account, but this change does not help you if you depleted the accounts in 2023. 

Community is open year-round. You can always ask a tax question BEFORE you make a financial transaction decision. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. TT is telling me that they are liable for 10% in income taxes even though they are inside of the first tax bracket.  No deduction for this income? 
A.  A dependent' standard deduction is only $1250 or his earned income + $400.  A taxable 529 distribution is unearned income, so he only gets a $1250 standard deduction, not the full $13,850. 

Q.   I'm guessing this has something to do with the kiddie tax?  How do I handle this issue? 

A. Yes, the kiddie tax applies. You'll need your info or a reasonable estimate.

Q. Is there a way to achieve what I sought by handling matters differently?

A. Sort of. You can spread it out over several years. You can also change the beneficiary to another family member. A new provision allows rolling the money to the beneficiary's  Roth IRA (in steps)

Thanks to both respondents.  

A couple of follow up questions. 

Where does the kiddie tax liability get reported?  On whose return?  And does it make a difference to the amount owed under the kiddie tax?  Are there benefits to doing it one way or the other?

Consider if reported under parents' return on 8814, does that have the effect of increasing parent income?  Or only show that parents will be paying the child's kiddie tax liability?  If increasing parental income, does this flow through to AGI, MAGI, etc.?  

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Where does the kiddie tax liability get reported?  On whose return? 

A. On the student's return, using form 8615*.

Q. And does it make a difference to the amount owed under the kiddie tax? 

A. Yes, as the parent's marginal rate is almost always more. The kiddie tax kicks in if he has more than $2500 of unearned income and net taxable income. 

Q. Are there benefits to doing it one way or the other?

A. It's not optional, but  no, in your case.

Q. Consider if reported under parents' return on 8814, does that have the effect of increasing parent income?  Or only show that parents will be paying the child's kiddie tax liability?  

A. Parents will be paying the child's kiddie tax liability

*If his only income is from interest and dividends, Alaska PFD or capital gains distributions shown on a 1099-DIV, there is a provision for entering his income  on your return, using form 8814.  Taxable 529 earnings or taxable scholarship doesn't qualify

Where in TT do I enter parent data on child's return?  I started to do it because I was prompted to review and update the corresponding step-by-step item, but the prompt no longer appears and I can't remember which one it was.  Thank you.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

Federal Taxes Tab

Wages and income

Scroll down to:

--less common income

---Child's Income (under 24)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies