Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No 1098-T Issued

My college did not provide a 1098-T for 2023 because Box 5 was checked on the 2022 1098-T.  I attended college and graduated in May 2023.  Can I claim the tuition and fees I paid for the Spring 2023 semester?  If so, how do I report it without a 1098-T?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

No 1098-T Issued

Yes, if you paid education expenses out of pocket that were not covered by scholarships/grants, you can report those in the Education section.

Indicate you didn't receive a 1098-T and enter your expenses. 

It's not clear what you you mean by 'box 5 was checked on 2022 1098-T' as Box 5 is the amount received for Scholarships, so should not affect your 2023 education entries. 

Be sure to save documentation for what you paid with your tax file.

Here's more info on How to Claim Education Expenses without a 1098-T.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No 1098-T Issued

Sorry.  I meant that Box 7 was checked indicating that the amount in Box 1 included "amounts for an academic period beginning January - March 2023."  My tuition and fees for Spring 2023 were due before the end of 2022, and I paid them before the 2022 calendar year ended.  I called my school's Bursars Office, and they said that's why I didn't get a 1098-T for 2023.  Does that mean I already claimed the expenses when I filed my 2022 taxes?  Following that line of thinking, then I would only be able to claim what I paid for books for the spring semester, right?  I hope I'm making sense.  I just don't want to file the wrong thing...

Hal_Al
Level 15

No 1098-T Issued

As the other reply indicated, it's not clear what's going on. If your 2023 tuition was actually paid in 2022, you cannot claim a credit, for that, on your 2023 tax return. You shoulda claimed that on your 2022 return. 

Q. then I would only be able to claim what I paid for books for the spring semester, right?  

A. Yes

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies