turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife and I live abroad in the UK. Does her school and tuition qualify for a deduction?

The school does not have a 1098-T form.
Her school is in the UK.
Our student loans are FAFSA.
We are US Citizens.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

My wife and I live abroad in the UK. Does her school and tuition qualify for a deduction?

Your wife's tuition does qualify if it is paid with student loans, the tuition is considered to have been paid by your wife. 

A qualified school is any college, university, or other post-secondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program Administered by the U.S. Department of Education.  Most foreign schools are not.  However, please refer to the  U.S. Federal Student Aid link to check if your university is a qualified educational institution for tax education purposes.

Your wife doesn't have to have 1098-T if the school is qualified school, but is exempt from issuing the form since it is foreign. When going through the Education section, you will be able to indicate that you don't have the form and that you qualify for an exception of not receiving one; you'll be able to enter tuition expenses then. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Your wife's tuition does qualify if it is paid with student loans, the tuition is considered to have been paid by your wife. 

A qualified school is any college, university, or other post-secondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program Administered by the U.S. Department of Education.  Most foreign schools are not.  However, please refer to the  U.S. Federal Student Aid link to check if your university is a qualified educational institution for tax education purposes.

Your wife doesn't have to have 1098-T if the school is qualified school, but is exempt from issuing the form since it is foreign. When going through the Education section, you will be able to indicate that you don't have the form and that you qualify for an exception of not receiving one; you'll be able to enter tuition expenses then. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies