Solved: My son is 17 is in high school and takes college c...

My son is 17 is in high school and takes college credit classes. He is enrolled for fall classes. Why doesn't he qualify for child tax credit after meeting all others?

Intuit Approved!

Your child is  too old (over 16). You can still claim your child, as a dependent. What you can't claim is the Child tax credit. This comes as a big surprise to many parents the year their child turns 17. A child over age 16 no longer qualifies for the Child Tax credit (CTC). Although a child can still be a student dependent through age 23, and a qualifying child for EIC,  the Child Tax Credit expires the year they turn 17 and you no longer get the $2000 CTC. Instead you will get the non-refundable (up to) $500 Other Dependent Credit.

Intuit Approved!