johnnawebb07

My school is online and does not send out a 1098t form. How do I make sure my schools tuition payments are deducted

Bsch4477

First ask your school if it is an eligible educational institution for education credit  Most schools have the 1098-T on line in the student’s account. 

Carl

First you need to confirm your school is an eligible institution. An eligible educational institution is a school offering higher education beyond high school. It is any college, university, trade school, or other post secondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program run by the U.S. Department of Education.

Check the list at https://ifap.ed.gov/ifap/fedSchoolCodeList.jsp to see if your school is on it.

Hal_Al

Rule of thumb:  If they don't issue a 1098-T they are probably not an eligible institution and the cost does not qualify for a tuition credit or deduction

MinhT1

The IRS only allows the deduction of qualified education expenses paid to eligible educational institutions.

You should ask your school if it is eligible or use this link to check.