Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband didn't get a 1098 for educational expenses the college he went to (since it was his last year) billed it on his 2015 T1098. Can I deduct it 2016 tax year?

It was for the last year of law school and since they posted it on the 2015 as "billed" t1098 I have not gotten one this year. I do not want do anything wrong but I also do not want to miss out on the a credit. Thank you
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

My husband didn't get a 1098 for educational expenses the college he went to (since it was his last year) billed it on his 2015 T1098. Can I deduct it 2016 tax year?

If you paid it in 2016, you can claim it on your 2016 tax year return.

According to the IRS:

“Generally, the credit is allowed for adjusted qualified education expenses paid in 2016 for an academic period beginning in 2016 ..."

You may not get a 1098-t from the school, so you will need to work off your student school account statement and save a copy with your tax file.

If you paid in 2016, you have an exception for reporting education expenses without a 1098-T.

CLICK HERE for IRS Pub 970 Tax Benefits for Education

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If you paid it in 2016, you can claim it on your 2016 tax year return.

According to the IRS:

“Generally, the credit is allowed for adjusted qualified education expenses paid in 2016 for an academic period beginning in 2016 ..."

You may not get a 1098-t from the school, so you will need to work off your student school account statement and save a copy with your tax file.

If you paid in 2016, you have an exception for reporting education expenses without a 1098-T.

CLICK HERE for IRS Pub 970 Tax Benefits for Education

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies