turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kitswartz

My daughter's college in London does not have a federal ID, but is listed on the IRS website as an eligible educational institution.

The turbotax form won't let me continue applying for the American Opportunity Credit without a federal ID number.  My daughter is going to King's College, London.  It is listed on the IRS site as an eligible educational institution, but the only code I can find is for US student loans.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cindy0H

My daughter's college in London does not have a federal ID, but is listed on the IRS website as an eligible educational institution.

Unfortunately, you will not qualify for the American Opportunity Credit without that federal ID number.

According to the IRS:

Educational institution's EIN  is required. To claim the American opportunity credit, you must provide the educational institution's employer identification number (EIN) on your Form 8863. 

There is a new requirement for 2017 that requires a Federal EIN in order to claim the American Opportunity Credit.  Without this number, you will not be able to claim the AOC but could still be eligible for other educational benefits such as the Lifetime Learning Credit.

More info on the Lifetime Learning Credit:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5358151

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies