Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Child is a high school student in NY taking 2 college classes. Does this qualify her for the NY college tuition expense credit?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

My Child is a high school student in NY taking 2 college classes. Does this qualify her for the NY college tuition expense credit?

No.

Normally a High School student taking college classes is not enrolled in the college which is a requirement of the New York Credit. 

You are entitled to this credit or deduction if:

• you were a full-year New York State resident;
  • you, your spouse, or dependent (for whom you have taken an exemption) were an undergraduate student who was enrolled at or attended an institution of higher education and paid qualified college tuition expenses; and
  • the student is not claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the reply.  We received 1098-T forms which is why I am wondering. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The rule in question was:  ...undergraduate student who was enrolled at or attended an institution of higher education and paid qualified college tuition expenses. If this is true, then you would qualify for the credit. There are some scenarios where the high school students don't qualify, but some do and yours might be one!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies