Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jackal747

Massachusetts Commuter Deduction when EZ Pass not under your name

I use my boyfriend's vehicle to commute to work, and pay tolls every day on I-90. Because it's his vehicle, the EZ Pass is also under his name, but I pay the relevant tolls. Can I claim a commuter deduction? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
jackal747

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If you pay, you qualify. Page 22 of the  Instructions for line 15:

Line 15. Commuter Deduction A deduction is allowed for certain amounts paid by an individual for tolls paid for through an E-Z Pass account or all MBTA fares, not just weekly or monthly transit commuter passes, and includes RTA fares, bikeshare memberships, bike purchases (including e-bikes), bike improvements/ repair/storage, and fares on non-MBTA commuter boats that are owned, operated or contracted by a municipality or a public or quasi-public entity, agency or authority, not including amounts reimbursed or otherwise deductible. 

In the case of a single person or a married person filing a separate return or as head of household, this deduction applies only to the portion of such expended amount that exceeds $150, and the total amount deducted cannot exceed $750. In the case of a married couple filing a joint return, this deduction applies only to the portion of such amount expended by each individual that exceeds $150, and the total amount deducted cannot exceed $750 for each individual. Also, one spouse cannot transfer his or her excess deduction to the other spouse; separate worksheets must be completed to calculate the deduction. See TIR 06-14 for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies