Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TommyR2D2

J1 short-term scholar + J1 research scholar counting for residency status (2 years exemption)

Hi all!

In 2021, I did a 3 month J1 “short-term scholar” stay at a research institution in the US. During this time, I was not hired nor did I receive any salary in the US (in fact, I did not have a SSN nor USA bank account). This was just a research visit for my PhD, self-paid by a grant in my country of origin.

Then in 2022 I was hired as a postdoc at the same institution as a J1 “research scholar”.

It seems now there is a disparity as my HR department considered me non-resident alien for the first 2 years (so 2022 and 2023 – in fact they filled me as resident alien only now in 2024 in the W4), while Sprintax/Turbotax considers me as a resident alien already due to this previous visit (2021 + 2022). This also changes my health coverage requirements.

Does anyone know if the 2 years start regardless of whether one was employed in the US? I am not sure if I should file as resident or non-resident now. I could report that J1 short-term scholar visit under "other visas" but not sure if this is correct.

Not sure if this matters or I should just file as resident and IRS will figure it out hehe

Thank you very much! 🙂

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

J1 short-term scholar + J1 research scholar counting for residency status (2 years exemption)

Yes, the two-year period started in 2021 so years 2021-2022 are considered exempt. You you would file as a resident alien for the 2023 tax year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies