Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bdc17910

It is trying to give my dependant student both education credits and i think your only allowed one?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It is trying to give my dependant student both education credits and i think your only allowed one?

It depends. You can only receive either the Lifetime Credit or the American Opportunity Credit up to a maximum of $2500 but not both.  

I think what you may be referring to is that you are receiving the American Opportunity Credit and there is a non-refundable portion of the credit being applied as well as a refundable credit. This is referred to as a partially refundable tax credit. 

With the AOC, up to 40 percent of the credit is refundable and counted as a tax payment. When you claim this credit for education expenses, Form 8863 separately calculates the refundable and nonrefundable portions. For example, if you calculate a $2,500 American Opportunity credit, a maximum of $1000 may be reported as a refundable tax credit with the remaining $1,500 reported as a nonrefundable credit.

If this doesn't fit your situation, please write back and let us know specifically on why you think your dependent is receiving both credits.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies